- Dandruff is a common condition that causes the skin on the scalp to flake.
- Dandruff is said to be a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis.
- Dandruff occurs as dead cells of the scalp start shedding.
- Dandruff can occur at any part of the scalp where hair follicles appear.
- Excessive oil production precipitates dandruff in many people.
Dandruff may have several causes, including: Irritated, oily skin. Dry skin. A yeastlike fungus (malassezia) that feeds on oils on the scalps of most adults.
- Irritable scalp
- Dry or oily scalp
- Fungal infection on the scalpe
- Sensitivity to chemical usage of products on the scalp.
- Certain skin infections such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Less consumption of water
- Disturbed sleep
- Too hot water for bathing.
- Excessive consumption of fat, starch. Sugary products.
- Excessive junk food.
- Hot iron curls.
- Cold weather.
- Improper diet.
- Poor hygiene rinsing cleaning of hair.
- Infection of the scalp such as pityrosporum ovale.
- Excessive coloring of hair.
Signs and symptoms
- Skin flakes are present on your scalp, hair, the upper part of the forehead, eyebrows.
- Continuous itching on the scalp
- Crusty scalp
- Bleeding from pores of scalp due to continuing scratching.
- Swelling and inflammation of the scalp.
- Hair baldness.
TIPS TO GET RID OF DANDRUFF
- Use mild and gentle shampoo on the scalp
- Avoid using too many variations of products
- Use medicated shampoo twice or thrice a week to remove dandruff.
- Apply aloe Vera.
- Use coconut oil once a week
- Take omega 3 orally in form of medicine or food.
- Minimize stress level.
- Apply tea tree oil.
Lemon and baking soda also help in removing dandruff in some kind of hair color based on physician recommendation only.
Egg white hair mask also cleanses the scalp of excess hair oil, strengthens hair, and fights dandruff.
Sugary food to be avoided as it increases dandruff growth on the scalp
Plain yogurt also helps in the moisturizing scalp and lessening dandruff production.
Bathe with cold water as it avoids dry scalp.