Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu has requested 2,000 crore in temporary aid from the Centre and stated that the relief manual will be amended to better compensate flood victims in the state.


Heavy to extremely Heavy rainfall in Himachal Pradesh during the last week caused landslides and flash floods, as well as blocked roads and damaged infrastructure. “I spoke to Union Home Minister Amit Shah and requested 2,000 crore in interim relief,” Mr Sukhu said on Friday. According to him, the state has suffered losses of 4,000 crore, and the figure is sure to rise as more estimates come in.

Mr Sukhu, who declared that each affected household will receive a compensation of one lakh rupees, stated that revisions to the relief manual will be made to improve the payout. At the moment, each disaster victim gets given 5,000 as relief, according to the manual.

Mr Sukhu told reporters here that a disaster relief fund has been formed to assist those in need, and that all ministers in his cabinet and Congress MLAs have agreed to donate a month’s salary to support the victims.

Associations of officials from the Indian Administrative Services and the Himachal Administrative Services, among others, have opted to contribute a day’s salary to the fund, he added.

“We will request that the BJP legislators do the same,” Mr Sukhu said, appealing to the general public to donate as well.

The administration has planned a three-pronged strategy involving rescue, evacuation, and restoration. After rescuing approximately 67,000 of the 75,000 tourists, including 250 stranded in snow-bound Chandratal in Lahaul and Spiti, the focus is now on infrastructure rehabilitation, according to the chief minister.

Some tourists remain in Kasol and Tirthan Valley. They are all safe and have been given food and other necessities, he said.

In the past 15 days, the state government has released ₹ 1,100 crore, including ₹ 610 crore to the Public Works Department, ₹ 218 crore to the Jal Shakti Department and ₹ 180 crore to the State Disaster Relief Fund, he said.
Mr Sukhu clarified that the ₹ 180 crore received from the Centre was the annual assistance given to the state during the monsoon and reiterated that the state government is yet to receive financial aid. He also urged the Union government to release the ₹ 315 crore pending since last year.

Mr Sukhu clarified that the ₹ 180 crore received from the Centre was the annual assistance given to the state during the monsoon and reiterated that the state government is yet to receive financial aid. He also urged the Union government to release the ₹ 315 crore pending since last year.
A landslip on the Kasol-Bhuntar Road at Dunkhara stopped the vehicles from moving, forcing the tourists to trek to the other side.

Noticing some tourists’ reluctance to leave without their automobiles, Mr Sukhu said on Thursday that the police would present them with a receipt allowing them to remove their vehicles when the roads reopened.

Tourist families are still contacting the police to find out where their loved ones are. In addition to the identities, numbers, and last whereabouts, the police are now looking for information about hotels, vehicle numbers, and images.

Categorized in: